What is BDS?
The British Dam Society is an Associated Society of the Institution of Civil Engineers. It consists of individual and corporate members. It is open to anyone wanting to share experience or knowledge of all aspects of dams and reservoirs.
Aims and Objectives
BDS exists to advance the education of the public and the profession in technical subjects relating to planning, design, construction, maintenance, operation, safety, environmental and social issues.
At a national level BDS organises:
- Programme of London and regional meetings
- BDS Conference and Geoffrey Binnie Lecture, held biennially
- Dams & Reservoirs, the journal of the British Dam Society published three times a year
- The Supervising Engineers Forum, held biennially
- Various awards and competitions including the Bateman award, the BDS prize for young authors, student and photographic competitions
At an international level BDS:
- acts as the United Kingdom National Committee of ICOLD (UKCOLD) and is active in:
- Technical committees producing bulletins
- ICOLD Congress every three years
- ICOLD Annual meetings
At a European level BDS is active on most of the European Working Groups
Back to topBDS Strategy
BDS Committee Members met between December 2015 and March 2016 to discuss future strategy, considering the period 2016 to 2025. The aim was to review the current strategy and align it with that of the ICE strategy published in 2013. The redefined BDS strategy recognises that the Society will continue to deliver many of the outputs that it has delivered throughout its history and is obliged to under the Constitution.
Back to topStructure of BDS
BDS is governed by a main committee that consists of elected and nominated members. The committee consists of:
- Chairman - elected for two years
- Vice-chairman - elected for two years
- Up to 12 elected members elected for three years, 4 replaced each year
- Up to 3 members nominated by the BDS chairman
- Honorary Officers as the Committee may appoint to assist in the administration of BDS, which shall include the Technical Secretary, the Editor of Dams and Reservoirs and the Webmaster
Back to topKey Committee Members
Back to topConstitution
Back to topJoin BDS
To join the British Dam Society, please click here.